Saturday, September 22, 2012

Is Scrapbooking an Art?

The first time Susy and I saw a scrapbooker call themselves an artist was on eBay.  Sure, we thought to ourselves, you're an artist.  We thought that "artist" was only trying to get higher bids on their layouts.

Thanks to vxla for the photo
Time goes by though and I start to wonder.  Is Scrapbooking actually an art form and if so are we all artiest.  Some art text books will tell you flat out, scrapbooking is not an art.  However, those text books does not close the book on this subject.  Those same books say scrapbooking is not an art because the focus of a layout is the picture not the layout.  I couldn't disagree with that statement more strongly.  When I see a good layout I see the layout then the picture.

Others say scrapbooking is not an art because its not perfect.  I ask, does something have to be flawless to be art?  That's just a silly question, of course it doesn't.  We have all seen less then perfect art.  One persons paint splatter may be a masterpiece to another.

In the end it comes down to one simple fact; art is in the eye of the beholder.  If you think scrapbooking is art than it is.  If you don't then it's not.  I for one have changed my previous beliefs and would now call scrapbooking an art.

What do you think?  I can't wait to read your post.

No comments:

Post a Comment