Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Birthday Card for My Mom

It honestly isn't very often that I do something scrappy all by myself.  Usually Susy is a at least somewhat involved in anything I make.  However, when it came to making a card for my Mom's birthday I made it all by myself after she had left for work.

 Lately I've been blog surfing a lot and I've seen so many beautiful card where people used stamping.  So I decided to try stamping out for myself.  I'm a complete stamping novice and I made a few mistakes here and there.  However, I had a lot of fun and I think my mom will really like it so that's what's important in the long run.

On the cover I stamped the happy birthday colored it with colored pencils.  Then I inked it to get a spotlight effect.  I then I put it on top of a different paper that I placed at a diagonal and inked the sides.  I put that on a purple paper and stamped off the edges to create corners.  Finally I mounted it all on pink cardstock.

 I had a lot of fun with the inside.  I taped the dark purple paper over the edge of the pink paper on the front side to make a card.

On the side with the stamp I added chalk around the edges and then smudged it using my fingers.

On the other side I just used white paper to give myself a spot to write.  I made little photo corners out of the same paper seen on the front cover of the card.


On the back side I needed to hide where I joined the two papers.  So I took a thin strip of pink paper and taped it over that spot.  I added a fun stamp to the strip that says Make a Wish.

 For my first true solo adventure into stamping I don't think I did half bad.  I did learn a few things along the way.

For example make sure your hands are clean of ink and chalk before picking up a card and make sure your stamp is in the exact place you want it before stamping an image.  I know this card isn't perfect and being it's for my Moms birthday I truly wish it was.  Sadly, I was out of time and needed to get this in the mail today!  All and all, I'm happy with the results and hopeful that next time I do stamping it will come out much better.

Sorry, I only used papers from our scrap pile so I can't tell you what any of them are.


2 comments: