Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hand Made Valentine's Day Card

Today I'm going to show you a Valentine's card for my wife, Susy.  I hope you like and that she loves it.  I'm somewhat of a novice at card making.  However, I feel like I get better every time I make one.  It uses a lot of pop dots that look great on the card but are hard to see in the pictures.  Click on any picture to enlarge.
Handmade Valentine's Day Card
Click to Enlarge
Handmade Valentine's Day Card Inside
Click to Enlarge

Handmade Valentine's Day Card Back
Click to Enlarge
Now I'm going to do my best to explain how I made this card.  It took me several hours to finish.  After thinking for some time over what kind of like my card should have I couldn't come up with any idea I liked.  Eventually I gave up and started looking at all our stamps for inspiration.  When I saw this monkey and tiger stamp I could just see them kissing and the idea was born.  Quickly I went threw my personal scrapbook papers and found ones I liked for this theme.

I looked for our ink, but Susy had it under a pile of papers so I couldn't find it.  I used distress ink form Tim Holtz.  Anyone who has used this ink knows it does not give you a clear stamp image by design.  I then went back in with ink pins and filled in the spots that the stamps left out so I would have a clear image. I colored in the stamps with colored pencils and ink pens and then fussy cut them out.
stamped tiger and monkey
Click to Enlarge
fussy cut tiger and monkey
Click to Enlarge

Next I cut four 1 1/2 inch borders out of shinny blue cardstock(blue is Susy's favorite color).  I punched those borders to make the a little more refined.  Then I took out our sewing machine and sewed the 4 borders together to make a frame.  I used Tim Holtz black soot distress ink to grudge it up.  I also punched 4 corners that I grudged up and placed over the corners of the frame with pop dots to cover the spots where the borders overlap.

I cut the paper with the flowers on it to the size of the frame and put it under the frame using pop dots.

Then I ran my two stamped imaged threw a Xyron sticker machine and put them on the background.

You may recognize the white flower on the front of the card from a paper quelling post that I made several blog post back.



Working on Valentine's Day Card
Click to Enlarge
 On the inside of the card I really like the look with the middle paper being different.  However, this was a mistake.  The front of the card is 7x7, but I don't have any papers bigger then 12x12.  So to make a paper that that is 14 inches long I was going to have to glue 2 or more papers together.  The cool border at the at the top came about much the same way when I cut the inside papers slightly two short and needed something on top of them to make the inside panels slightly taller.  I grudged up that border with the Tim Holtz black soot ink.
Valentine's Day Card Inside
Click to Enlarge

The heart I drew myself and then cut out.  I used a paper distressing tool on the edges of the heart and added Tim Holtz broken china ink to it.  I wrote my note on the pink vellum on the right side but took this pictures before writing the note since that's a personal thing between my wife and I.
Valentine's Day Card Back Panel
Click to Enlarge
The back panel is the same paper that I used on the cover of the card.  I stamped it with a flowers label and dated the card.

I'm not great at walkthroughs and clearly didn't take enough pictures, but I hope if anyone wants to replicate this card they are able to

P.S.  I don't know the name of any of the papers because the there names were cut off long ago.  The cardstock is from Coredonations.

No comments:

Post a Comment