Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How I Made a Steampunk Card (part 1)

steampunk card
Click to Enlarge
Yesterday I showed you a steampunk card I made for my wife's birthday.

Today I'm going to do my best to explain how I made the card.  If you want to make one like it or just duplicate a single thing you saw in that card this is the post for you.

The first thing I made was the background paper for the clock.  To make it I printed out 4 pictures from Freubels Freebies.  Three of those images were what I would call steampunk and 1 wasn't but I needed 4 images for my idea.  I copied all 4 of these pictures to ms paint so that I could print them all on one sheet of scrapbook paper.
steampunk images
Click to Enlarge

Next I took out my water color paint and hand painted the pictures with a few limited color choices.  I wanted them to feel old, but have color.
watercolor painting
Click to Enlarge

watercolor steampunk pictures
Click to Enlarge
I'm sure you know the next step.  :)  I cut them out.

steampunk pictures
Click to Enlarge
I now had 4 very cool pieces of steampunk paper, but I needed 1 larger piece.  I layered the 4 pieces so that the most important part of each showed and glued them together.
making a paper
Click to Enlarge

I don't have a picture of the next step, but all I did was use our cutting machine to cut a straight line across one of the edges.  I then used that straight line so that I could make 90 degree corners and with the help of the machine cut the other 3 sides.

Next I knew I wanted a clock with gears on top of my newly created piece of paper.  I looked up free gears in Google and printed them out.  I glued my favorite gears from the print out to the back of shiny metallic gold paper.

making paper gears
Click to Enlarge

I originally got out  our tonic studios Tim Holtz scissors and craft knife to cut the gears out.  I was to quickly learn that the craft knife was having a lot of trouble cutting through 2 layers of paper.  Not detoured I took out a box cutter that we got at the auto store.  I found it worked perfectly and was much easier to use then the craft knife.  Note it's also more dangerous so please be careful if you start using box cutters on your paper crafts.

scrapbook cutting tools
Click to Enlarge

After cutting out all the gears I added a message to them.  If you read the gears in order it reads, " Happy Birthday I love you"  I put a screw brad in the center of each gear and after deciding on placement attached each one to the paper with a pop dot.  The center of the clock however is a different story.  I hand drew the clock hands then cut them out with a box cutter.  I punched a hole in the center of the clock hands that was just big enough to let the paper side over the screw portion of a post bound scrapbook binder screw but small enough that it wouldn't fit over the post.  Next I punched a hole in the paper I made and slid the binder post through it.  I loosely screwed the post back together at the top so that the clock hands would spin.  Later I was to find the large hand was bending so I glued a small bit of plastic behind it. After this was done, I glued a black paper behind the other paper so my clock would be matted.  To attach the rope I made a slip knot large enough to fit over the clock hands. I tightened it to the post by using tweezers.  I then wrapped the rope around the base of each gear and hung a small metal heart off the end.
steampunk heart clock
Click to Enlarge
side view of clock card
Click to Enlarge

At that moment I considered the clock done.  I glued my clock to a larger piece of paper that I had folded into the shape of a card and added a few more items.  Let's start with the new and improved heart.
steampunk clock card
Click to Enlarge
The more I looked at my plain metal heart the more I didn't like it!  I untied the heart the rope and tried making a new heart out of gold wire.  To do this I took gold floral wire and shaped it into a heart shape.  Next I wrapped the wire around my heart shaped wire to make the frame stronger.  With a strong frame I started bringing the wire across the heart in a purposely crazy pattern.  When I was done with my little art project I wasn't sure I liked it.  Then I got the idea of putting the original heart inside it.  I took my finger and pushed out the wire in the center of the heart making it 3D.  I retied my original heart to the rope and then used the wire to attach the back of that heart to the metal wire one.  Finially I used pop dots to attach it to the card.

steampunk caged heart
Click to Enlarge
This post is already getting very long and I know you should keep blog post short.  :P  I will continue this post tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Love how you put this together!! Thanks for sharing your steps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved steampunk and haven't done a steampunk page in a long time! I really like how you shared your process here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete