Thursday, May 23, 2013

How I Made a Steampunk Card (part 2)

A Timeless Love Title
Click to Enlarge
In yesterdays post, I left off explaining how I made the steampunk heart.  On the other side of the card is a flower and a title.

For the title I used metallic gold ink to write A Timeless Love.  I struggled to come up with that title.  What about birthdays or love that also has to do with a clock can you write.  Without bringing up age that is :).

For the flower I got creative.  I took two normal flowers and attached them with a brad.  Next, I took silver metallic acrylic paint and painted the flowers.  While the paint as wet I put silver metallic embossing powder on top of it and then used our heat gun.  The heat made the paint on the flowers bubble.  When I was done not only did the flower look metal, but it also looked like old weathered metal because of bubbled and, cracked and pitted surface.

how to make a steampunk flower
Click to Enlarge
Now it's time to talk about the inside of the card.  I found a shinny patterned paper that to me felt steampunkish in my stash.  When ever I try gluing one paper behind another to make a card the glue always separates on me at the point of the fold.  On this card to avoid that I took my 12x12 paper and cut two very pretty mirror images out of it(one for each side of the card.  I put washi tape over the joint.
inside of steampunk card
Click to Enlarge

On the top half I put a present.  The stripe on it is left over from my April 16 Sprint Robot Layout. The gears that I used for a bow on top of the present are just little printed gears I got free online. 

steampunk present
Click to Enlarge


The other half has my message to her on it.  I was inspired by a card at hallmark but ended up changing the words a lot.  I printed the message on vellum.  I then rounded the corners of the vellum with a crop a dile corner chomper.  For the shinny paper behind it I used a border punch on two sides and then once again rounded the corners with our corner chomper.  I used the gear, heart, and words to hide the tape that is under the vellum.
birthday letter
Click to Enlarge
The gear was left over from when I made the front of the card.  I cut the heart out free hand from the same paper behind the vellum.  I used glue and Tim Holtz vintage photo distress ink to give it an old look.  Last but not least I wrote the year very small inside the gear.

And that is the long process of how I made this card.  I hope someone out there found it interesting.  Plus to today is Susy's birthday so more then anything I hope she loves it.   :D

Have a great day and happy scrapbooking

1 comment: