Saturday, May 18, 2013

How to Make Your Own Gift Box


 A few days ago I showed you a present Susy wrapped for her Mom with scrapbook paper.  When I was ready to wrap this birthday present for Susy I decided to take her idea one step further and make gift box out of scrapbook paper.

Making this box was actually very easy.  I did not use a pattern.  All I did was take out a ruler, 1 sheet of 12x12 scrapbook paper, a pencil, and a stick glue.


Sorry that I didn't take pictures when I did this.  If one single person ask I will make a new box and take lots of pictures of all the steps.

1)I knew a 3.5x4.5 object had to fit in my box.  Instead of doing fancy math I turned my paper upside down and set the object in the middle.  Then I took my pencil and made marks around the edges of the item that was going in the box.

2) I folded each side over at the marks.  Then I unfolded my paper.

3)  I now had a paper divided into 9 different rectangles.  I wanted my box to be 3.5 inches tall so I measured out all the fold lines 3.5 inches and then cut the paper with a paper trimmer.  If you don't have a paper trimmer you could use scissors and a ruler.

4) OK this step is a little confusing.  You want to cut every other fold that goes to the outside of your paper all the way down to the center square.  On the other lines that go to the center square you also want to cut all the way down to center square but this time over around 1/2 inch from the fold instead of on the fold.  This will make 4 tabs.  When you are done with this you will have 4 scraps of paper and your orginal paper should look like a plus sign with tabs.

5) Put glue on the tabs, fold the arms of the plus sign up and glue each tab to the wall next to it.  You should now have a box.

6.  Now time for the lid.  Glue your 4 scraps of paper together to make a new small piece of paper.

7) Turn your box over and repeat the steps.  A lid is really just a box that fits on top of your box.


I also made little containers for all the different kinds of watch parts I'm giving my wife for her birthday. 

For the large one I simply folded a scrap piece of paper in half.  Then I punched a hole in it with a 3 inch circle punch.  I cut a piece of vellum and glued it to the paper behind the whole so I could make a window.  Finial I put the watch parts in the center of the paper, glued around the edged and closed the package.
Click to Enlarge

The round containers were made in much the same way except that they were made by punching two 3 inch circles.  I then punched a 1 inch circle in one of those two circles and put vellum behind the punch.  The last step was putting the watch parts inside, gluing around the edges and and sealing each circle container.

I know thats a lot to do to wrap one present, but my wife appreciates presentation as I'm sure most scrapbookers do.

Click to Enlarge
PS: The paper  on the circle is an unfortunate scrap that made its way into the photo.  It is not part of the packaging.  Also I know these instructions are hard to follow without step by step pictures.  If you want a step by step photo post showing you how to make any of these project please let me know and I will gladly make one and add it to the blog.

Have a great day and happy scrapbooking.

1 comment:

  1. These are great!! I have always wanted to try and make a box ... just haven't had the steps to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete