Friday, May 24, 2013

Susy's Birthday

Regular readers of this blog know Susy's Birthday was yesterday.  She got home late and didn't want to go out to eat.  Instead we stayed home and made calzones.  Earlier that day I had made her a birthday cake from scratch.  I do this every year.

Here is a picture of this years cake:  Yummm!!!!!!!!!!

chocolate birthday cake
Click to Enlarge

layered chocolate cake
Click to Enlarge
I had never made this cake before and it came out really good.  I used a highly rated dark chocolate cake recipe from allrecipes.com  I modified this by adding coffee instead of water and added meringue and egg yolks instead of eggs.  For cocao I used our last of the Amish dark cocoa and Hershey's Dark Cocoa.  I made 3 layers and cut each in half for a total of 6 layers. The icing I kind of made up, but it's cream cheese based.

Susy liked her card, the cake, and all her presents.

In other news we are very likely going to give the cat we found to Susy's brother.  That means a 6 hour drive each way to drop it off, but he really wants the cat and I think he will make a great daddy for her.

Later on today I'm going to post more things to our pinterest page.  It's been far to long since I added pictures there.

Have a great day and happy scrapbooking.

1 comment: