Monday, October 7, 2013

How to Blend Colored Pencils

Click to Enlarge
This is part 3 of my 4 part how series on one project

Today's post is about how to blend colored pencils

This is my 3rd digi stamp ever.  I would hardly call myself an expert, but I believe I'm improving.

The skin and hair on this digi stamp by  Anna Stillwell at Cuddlebug Cuties was done with colored pencils.

It's scary to show you all a close up of the face, because it's not absolutely perfect, but I wanted to show this close up because I want to show how well the blending technique I used works.

Click to Enlarge
The traditional blending technique for colored pencils is taking a paper or your figure and rubbing the image.  The problem with this technique is it can rub colored pencil where you didn't want it.

A less commonly known technique is rubbing your colored pencil with a pencil eraser.  This will blend the colored pencil without smudging the color where you don't want it but also erases your image!  That's right you can erase colored pencil.

Clearly both these methods aren't perfect so I decided to try something crazy.  I used my Spectrum Noir blender marker on colored pencil.  To my shock it worked!  I'm not sure when last time I got a colored pencil to blend this well.  A quick note is that I was not able to get the tip of blender white again after doing this, but it's not leaving any pencil residue when I use it.

I hope this how to helps you next time you have to blend colored pencils.

Have a great day and happy scrapbooking!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a great idea! I love that it worked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coloring looks terrific to me!!! Being I'm just lousy at coloring, I doubt if I'd even be able to see your imperfections at all -- if only I could do as well with them... lol!!! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete