Friday, November 22, 2013

How to Make a Butterfly Christmas Ornament

How to make a butterfly Christmas Ornament
Click to Enlarge
This is not so much of a how to and more of a what not to do.

It was my first ever attempt at making a Christmas Ornament and although it didn't turn out perfect, I hope that by sharing my story yours will.

I used a thick piece of paper from my scrap box with the Tim Holtz Butterfly Die Cut.

Butterfly Christmas Ornament
Click to Enlarge




 I cut 1 set of wings and two body parts so I could put a body on both sides of the wings.

I saw a blog where a person had painted an item and add glitter.  It came out perfect for her, so I figured it would for me.  This was not the case.  On the first side, I did not burnish the glitter into the paint.  The result was small areas with no glitter.  I learned my lesson and on the second side I did rub the glitter in.

Next I punched a hole in the body to tie my string to.  However, when I did this the butterfly would flip over.  I had to cut a new string and tie it to the wings.

glittered butterfly
Click to Enlarge
Now that it's done and I've test hung it I find the butterfly wings droop over time.  It seems the card stock I choice was not thick enough after all.

I do not know what will happen to this butterfly ornament.  I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it at this point.

I can only hope that all my mistakes help someone else make a beautiful butterfly Christmas ornament.

Have a Great Day and Happy Scrapbooking!

1 comment:

  1. I think it turned out great!! Sorry to hear that the wings are dropping though :(

    ReplyDelete