Thursday, November 28, 2013

Trash to Treasure Zipper Flower

trash to treasuer zipper flower
Click to Enlarge
The other day Susy threw away this bag.  The bag came from a gift bag of shampoo at Walmart that we got
because it was cheap.

When I saw the bag in the trash I saw instant possibilities and asked Susy within about 2 sec if I could have it.  Later I felt guilty and told her I was going to use it to make cool scrappy things, but she didn't want it.

zipper flower
Click to Enlarge
I've never made a zipper project, but I knew I wanted to make one.  I cut off the zipper off the bag and then searched Google for zipper projects.

Eventually I found a flower I liked at Keepsake Crafts.  I didn't have a long enough zipper to make the flower on that page, but I based my flower on it.  To compensate for my lack of zipper length I made 2 inch sections for each petal and made less of them.

how to make a zipper flower
Click to Enlarge
I like the flower and I'm sure I'll make a new one some day.  I did learn something new making this flower.  Hot glue does not work well on smooth plastic.  I found that they kept coming unglued.  The only solution was holding them until the glue was dry while it burned my fingers.

This is off topic, but luckily it didn't burn much.  I worked is a manager at Pizza Hut many years ago and you tend to build up a heat tolerance in your hands when you work at a job like that.  I often take the hot stuff off our pans when we cook because it's so much easier than getting out a spatula to pick them up.

Tomorrow I'll have a new project that I'm going to make out of the bag.

Have a Great Day and Happy Scrapbooking!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhhh that looks awesome!!!! I love that you upcycled!! One of my fave things to do!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete