Tuesday, March 18, 2014

How to make Parts of your photo color with the rest Black and White



It's easy to make parts of your your photo color and leave the rest black and white.  I made up a technique to do this and had a finished photo in less than 30 minutes.

how to make a photo that is part color and part black and white
Click to Enlarge

Here is the original photo I started with

cat with mouse toy
Click to Enlarge

Next I made a duplicate photo in black in white

black and white photo of cat with mouse toy
Click to Enlarge

For the next step I went in GIMP (a free photo editing and drawing software) and loaded my color photo.  I added an alpha channel with this path
layers>transparencies>add alpha channel

After adding an alpha channel I took out the eraser tool and erased everything that I wanted to turn Black&White.  If you are using gimp you should see a checkerboard pattern left after you erase.  When I was done I saved the file.

cat with mouse toy against transparent background
Click to Enlarge

Next, I used Gimp to open my black and white photo.  I clicked open is layers and clicked on the file name of my picture above with only the cat and his toy.  The program puts that picture on top of your black&white picture and you have a competed photo that is ready to develop and scrapbook.

colored black and white photo of cat with mouse toy
Click to Enlarge


If you have any questions about how to do this let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Have a Great Day and Happy Scrapbooking!

3 comments: